Saturday, July 12, 2014

Earnest


This piece is from my two-person Tangled Memories exhibit.  The exhibit explored my experiences with my Dad's Early-Onset Alzheimer's. (He was diagnosed in his early 50's, when I was still a teenager, and died in 2000 at the age of 65).


Earnest

When I was nine I rode my bike down to the cemetery and I picked flowers from other graves to put on my Mom's headstone. It was an act of love.

But somewhere along the way we learn not to pick the pretty flowers.

When my Dad was in his mid-fifties he hitch-hiked and walked to my sister's house. No one knew where he was. Eventually he walked up my sister's driveway with a proud smile on his face and a bouquet of flowers that he had picked from people's yards along the way.

In his mid-fifties he had forgotten not to pick the pretty flowers.

Each experience was fresh and new for my Dad, as if it was the first time he had seen such a sunny day or beautiful flower.

Size: (h x w) 16" x 20"
Media: Digital photograph
SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment