Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Wait


This piece is from my two-person Tangled Memories exhibit.  The exhibit explored my experiences with my Dad's Early-Onset Alzheimer's. (He was diagnosed in his early 50's, when I was still a teenager, and died in 2000 at the age of 65).


The Wait

Waiting. Sitting alone at McDonald’s waiting for my Dad.

I used to meet my Dad at McDonald's for breakfast. I had moved out of the house and I looked forward to these times to connect and catch up. As time went by, he increasingly forgot to meet me. His forgetting at that time did not yet have a label, an explanation. All I knew, as I sat there waiting, was that he had forgotten me, again. I was alone.

Recently I sat alone again with my breakfast in a local McDonald's to take photos for this piece. The empty seat still served as an icon of Alzheimer's.

Size: (h x w) 48" x 36"
Media: Mixed media on maple
AVAILABLE

No comments:

Post a Comment